Perl utilities for UNIX/LINUX/... (Michael Paoli)

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Aug 28 16:53:29 PDT 2006

What got me started was the perl one-liners pages.  They show the
compact power of perl and how it does everything sed, awk, and grep do
almost as consisely and with more versatility.

But these days I'd encourage people who want to do real scripting to
use Python instead- Perl can be readable but Python has an ethos
against the kind of obscure cleverness that many perlers thrive on.

On 8/27/06, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks, michael.
>
> i keep glancing over perl and thinking i could use it, but
> was lacking some examples i could relate to easily.
>
> actually, i picked up the two older ones i had glossed over
> before, that is cleanup/backup utils.
>

> On 8/27/06, bad-request at bad.debian.net <bad-request at bad.debian.net > wrote:
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:47:44 -0700
> > From: Michael Paoli < Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>
> > Subject: Perl utilities for UNIX/LINUX/...
> > To: Oakland Perl Mongers <oakland at pm.org>
> > Cc: Berkeley Unix User Group <buug at weak.org>,   Bay Area Debian
> >         <bad at bad.debian.net>,   Bay Area Linux Users Group
> >         < balug-talk at lists.balug.org>
> >
> > Anyway, I put a few more Perl utilities for UNIX/LINUX/...
> > that I wrote out there:
> > http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/perl/
> > multichown
> > and
> > disable_users
> > might be particularly handy in the systems administration realm.
> > I'd already put the other items out there much earlier.
> >
> > references/excerpts:
> > http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/perl/
> > news: 1156663711.574609.98570 at i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com

> > End of bad Digest, Vol 9, Issue 15