the show (LinuxWorld) will be smaller next year?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 21 19:23:44 PDT 2006

I'd guestimate roughly the same size, +-20% or so.

>From what I saw in the sales office, looked like they'll
quite definitely be using Moscone North, and they'll probably try
to sell/utilize most or all of that space in Moscone North.

This year they came *relatively* close to filling Moscone North - but I think
they had some room on the side(s) that wasn't fully utilized (at least
one row of curtains could quite possibly have been moved another isle
closer to the wall, in my guestimation).

Hard to compare size directly to last year, as that was Moscone West,
and a different configuration/layout.  Definitely smaller than
2 years ago, though - that was Moscone South, and I believe the
main floor there has a fair bit more space than Moscone North, and
it pretty well filled Moscone South 2 years ago (at least the
mail show floor space, anyway - I don't think LinuxWorld ever
pushed Moscone to busting at the seams ... for the "really big" shows,
there are lots of nooks and crannies and other rooms and such that can
get filled at Moscone South (and North) that weren't utilized 2 years ago -
e.g. the last time Interop was in S.F., Moscone North was rather newly
opened, and they filled all of South (including all the nooks and crannies
and various rooms throughout the facility) and North too - that was the last
time they fit in S.F. - after that they went to Las Vegas (and merged with
NetWorld)).

Seems there are also, relatively, a "lot" of LinuxWorld shows (2 per year
in the US, plus some in other countries) ... that might be thinning and
spreading crowds a bit (but probably boosting total numbers).

Also looks like LinuxWorld is a quite large percentage of what IDG
World Expo does these days.

references/excerpts:
http://www.idgworldexpo.com/live/99/TB216964

Quoting Michael Cheselka: