LISA '05, San Diego, CA, December 4-9, 2005, sponsored by USENIX & SAGE

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:44:41 -0700

LISA '05, San Diego, CA, December 4-9, 2005, sponsored by USENIX & SAGE
(drats, I forgot to mention it at the BAD meeting - but we were a small
bunch at that meeting anyway ... but we had very yummy food! :-))
USENIX would like us to mention to or remind folks about LISA '05.
LISA (Large Installation System Administration) is a great event for
system (and other computer-related) administrators.  I've been to LISA
multiple times, and highly recommend it.  Lots of great information
about the event can be found at the URL following ... and their clamis
are not overstated:
http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa05/
And yes, it was at LISA that I first learned of Debian.
Some highlihts also included/mentioned below (you might want to skip
forward to the "(cut here)").

----- Forwarded message from Lionel Garth Jones <lgj@usenix.org> -----
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:53:20 -0700
From: Lionel Garth Jones <lgj@usenix.org>
Subject: Mention LISA at BAD meeting at Siam Kitchen?

Hi Michael:

I'm back again to promote another conference: we're holding our LISA
(Large Installation System Administration) conference in San Diego
this year: December 4-9.  Can you mention the conference at the meeting?

See the online conference announcement below, Also, there are gif
buttons and a pdf flyer for the conference at:

http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa05/promote.html

Are there other mechanisms we can use to get the message out to your
membership?  (e.g.: can we post this to the list, or can you post it
for us?) We'd also like to spread the word to other potentially
interested groups in the area: are there other local groups (user
groups, ACM chapters, corporations, universities etc.) I should be
trying to contact?

Or let me know if I'm being harassing.

Thanks for any help, -Peter

Peter Mui
USENIX Association
2560 9th Street STE 215
Berkeley, CA 94710
510 528 8649 ext. 28
pmui@usenix.org

(cut here)
Join us in San Diego for the 19th Large Installation System
Administration Conference (LISA'05) at http://www.usenix.org/lisa05/
progm

The one conference to attend! For close to two decades LISA
has been the annual convergence point for the global system and network
administration community. This year's LISA continues that tradition of
innovation with tools and techniques essential to your professional and
technical development.

NEW! 30 new tutorials, part of a full week's worth of great training
NEW! "Solve My Problem" boards get your questions answered
NEW! Hit the Ground Running tracks: 15-minute talks on how to
                   get started on a particular topic

TRAINING: Learn from the pros: 6 days and close to 60 tutorials,
including:
     * Curtis Preston: Backup on a Budget
     * Dan Bailey: 802.11 Wireless Network Penetration Testing
     * Richard Bejtlich: Network Security Monitoring with Open Source
Tools
     * Jacob Farmer: Disk-to-Disk Backup
     * Evan Marcus: Disaster Planning and Recovery
     * Mike Ciaverella and Lee Damon The Seven Habits of the Highly
Effective Sys Admin

KEYNOTE: Qi Lu, Yahoo!'s Vice President of Engineering: "Scaling Search
          Beyond the Public Web"

TECH SESSIONS: 3 days of technical sessions with top-notch refereed
papers, informative invited talks and panels:
     * Matt Blaze: "Picking Locks with Cryptology"
     * Kevin Bankston: "How Sysadmins Can Protect Free Speech and
       Privacy on the Electronic Frontier"
     * Dan Kaminsky: "Network Black Ops: Extracting Unexpected
       Functionality from Existing Networks"
     * Andrew Cowie: "Modern Trends in UNIX and Linux Infrastructure
       Management"
     * Terry Slattery: "Silly Network Management Tricks"

GURU SESSIONS: Bring your perplexing technical questions to experts at
LISA's unique Guru Is In sessions.

EXHIBITS: Explore the latest commercial innovations at the Vendor
Exhibition.

LISA is the premier forum for presenting new research in system
administration. We selected papers showcasing state-of-the-art work on
topics including spam/email, intrusion and vulnerability detection,
security, system integrity, and more.  Sign up now for early
registration
discounts.

WHAT:   LISA '05: the 19th(!) Large Installation System
Administration Conference
WHEN:   December 4-9, 2005
WHERE:  San Diego, CA, Town & Country Resort Hotel
WHO:    System Administrators, Network Administrators, CIOs, CTOs,
         Researchers, Tool Providers, Support and Help Desk
personnel, etc.
WHY:    To get to and stay on the cutting edge of system administration
HOW:    Sign up NOW at http://www.usenix.org/lisa05/progm

Begin forwarded message:

----- End forwarded message -----