Headless chicken continues to jerk around + pre-ANNOUNCE warning for the June meeting.

Mon, 16 May 2005 22:20:14 -0700

Not that I'm about to call a BAD meeting, nor to start a long thread on
discussing meeting locations, *but*, these are a few I've considered of
late ... some I haven't checked out enough to come up with a particular
opinion if they'd be rather/quite good meeting location, ... or not so
great.  By random regions/cities:
Berkeley - there's a cafe' just opposite side of the street from the Berkeley
Rep. Theatre. (on Addison between Shattuck & Milvia, if I'm not mistaken),
has "free WiFi" - presumably with purchase - looks like it might be okay/
good/excellent ... not sure about AC power access, not sure how late they're
open, also, they might be very crowded just before, and possibly after
Theatre or other events (so schedule checking may be in order);
Oscar's has power, within range of free WiFi, but they're not open all that
late.  The espresso place on the adjacent corner that actually provides the
WiFi is open later, but they're relatively tight for space, and can't easily
handle a large crowd there (though squeezing in those who hang on after
Oscar's closes seems to generally work).
There's Smokehouse on Telegraph - reasonable parking, moderate walk from
BART, has AC power outlet ... could be nice spot for a warm Summer evening.
There's Triple Rock & Jupiter - I'm not a huge fan of pubs, but many folks
much like/prefer pub.  Triple Rock may be a bit quieter, and hence better
for meeting ... it's a moderate stroll from BART.
Oakland - Pacific Coast Brewing Company - free WiFi, AC power seems a bit
scarce, but does exist - with some early strategic placement (and perhaps
extension cord and/or power strip) that could probably be leveraged;
San Francisco - I called a meeting at Henry's Hunan (on Natoma) once -
power available, but no known/confirmed WiFi ... great food, reasonable prices,
but alas, turnout was quite low (3 people),
Metreon - free WiFi, I think they're open fairly late, ... there's a food court,
there's a sports bar, and at least some additional restaurant(s), not sure how
late the various food venues are open, there's likely to be AC power around to
be found, but it seems at least moderately well hidden from those casually
looking for it.;
San Jose - public library - Internet access (with library card) including
Ethernet hookups, various rules regarding food on different floors, meeting/
study group rooms ... with a laptop with Ethernet, WiFi, and some bridging
and/or masquerading ... anyway, perhaps some interesting possibilities, and
a cool facility to check out for those that haven't seen it yet.
San Francisco public library (main) ... similar to San Jose main, but probably
not as food friendly and fewer/smaller "study" rooms.

Anyway, those are some (semi-)random venues I've thought about.  Don't wait for
me to call a meeting - as that might be a while.  Anyway, ... thought that mini-
list might possibly also give other folks some ideas as to good spots or good
potential spots.  The binding and non-binding parts of the shotgun rules also
contain lots of good information.

references/excerpts:
http://bad.debian.net/shotgun_rules.txt
http://bad.debian.net/list/