Large databases (& PostgreSQL)

Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:19:45 -0800

If you haven't already, you may want to check with some more specific
PostgreSQL resources.  BALUG[1] had a presentation on PostgreSQL not all
that horribly long ago.  There are also PostgreSQL Users Groups[2] that
may also be quite helpful/useful.  I'd think it likely that there are
quite large PostgreSQL databases out there, and including transactional
and/or other high I/O utilizations.  Anyway, such resources might be
able to point to information on what is and isn't presently feasible with
PostgreSQL for such large databases, and perhaps also
answers/suggestions/tips on some or many of the problems/challenges
typically encountered with PostgreSQL on such large databases.

Although it might be the case that PostgreSQL and/or other pure Open
Source solutions may not cover everything in an existing proprietary
configuration, I'd certainly hope, and think it likely, that Open
Source solutions would well cover much, or perhaps all of that, though
not necessarily in quite the same way (e.g. there typically are the issues
of proprietary non-standard features that are in use, and sometimes
Open Source may come to fill a particular need relatively late in the
game if the niche for that particular need is rather to quite small).

references/excerpts:
1. http://www.balug.org/
(some of BALUG's list stuff and archives are in semi-broken state
at the moment so ...)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=site%3Abalug.org+postgresql
2. http://pugs.postgresql.org/
http://pugs.postgresql.org/sfpug/