ESR: "We Don't Need the GPL Anymore"

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:21:22 -0700

Quoting Michael K. Edwards (m.k.edwards@gmail.com):

> I don't agree with that "doesn't allow" part based on the actual terms
> of the GPL and applicable law, which is part of why I say that
> propaganda and intimidation uses of the GPL have long overshadowed its
> meaning as a legal instrument.

To be specific, I'm referring to the creation and distribution of works
derivative (in the copyright law sense) of the copylefted one.  Whether
any particular proposed use would _constitute_ such a derivative is a
matter of law that would require examination of details.

I will go so far as to agree that some attempts to use such "propaganda
and intimidation" (***COUGH*** MySQL AB ***COUGH***) have seemed
questionable in the past.

> > He's one of very few who have clearly and unambiguously stated that
> > Tridge did nothing wrong, and explained why in a fashion that could be
> > understood by any layman.  I find that valuable.
>
> What do you mean by "wrong" in this context?

I mean that no evidence known shows Tridge's violation of any contract,
nor any conduct that I think any reasonable person would feel fails any
ethical or moral obligation.  Much propaganda has claimed the contrary,
and I find that not merely regrettable but also culpable in a small way.

> As far as I'm concerned none of McVoy's or Tridgell's conduct skirted
> any particularly important ethical or legal boundary, and it all had
> more to do with PR maneuvering and deliberate provocation of a crisis
> that was coming anyway than with any particular engineering outcome.

I found McVoy's public claims about Tridgell somewhat disreputable and
unsupported by the (eventual) facts.  As is typical of such cases,
however, worse things were done by McVoy's boosters (both acknowledged
and less so), including the author of the much-cited "No More Free
BitKeeper" article.

> Oh, I have no objection to that at all; I'm just commenting on his
> claim that the best use he can think of for notoriety is to point out
> unpopular truths.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers