Preservation of system state considered harmful

Will Lowe harpo@thebackrow.net
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:06:38 -0800

Hmm.  Might be interesting to file a wishlist bug against the Debian
package requesting that it complain loudly at upgrade time if
register_globals is on.

Frankly, I despise PHP for things like this.  The developers don't
seem to care about backwards compatibility, like to make random large
changes in the middle of a stable series ... the whole thing has the
air of not being very well thought through from the beginning.  At
first I thought it was a maturity thing -- Perl's doesn't have a lot
of the same issues, but it's a lot older, too.

Nowadays I think it's just that Larry and crew have their sh*t
together better than the PHP guys, because PHP has had plenty of time
to mature.

--
					thanks,

					Will