Seeking good web sites for Debian tools

David N. Welton davidw@dedasys.com
15 Apr 2005 10:07:54 +0200

Michael Paoli <mp@rawbw.com> writes:

> Okay, so I read the message that started the thread day(s) ago, but
> when I see the subject "Seeking good web sites for Debian tools"
> fresh today, I feel a compelling urge to respond:
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages

One of the problem that Debian faces today is that there are too many
choices.  Generally, people are happiest if they are presented with
one or two good choices, with some others in the wings if they are
adventurous.  This is one of the reasons why Ubuntu has been
successful, and people are interested in UserLinux.  They would rather
have the experts make some good choices for them.  To paraphrase
Jean-Claude Wippler "Choice is good, being forced to choose is not".
That's especially true when, as a newcomer, you are not in a good
position to choose because you don't have all the information that you
need to make the best choice.

Err... anyway, enough ranting, but asking other people for their
recommendations makes perfect sense to me.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/