Seeking good web sites for Debian tools

Joey Hess joeyh@debian.org
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:01:47 -0400

--WhfpMioaduB5tiZL

Joshua Kwan wrote:
> I switched to the 'fsfs' backend, and since then I've never had any
> database corruption issues. [1] Those were definitely present with the
> older BDB backend, especially in a collaborative environment where more
> than one system user will be writing to the database.

I've never experienced what I would consider actual database corruption
with svn. The problem you describe with the old bdb backend was much
more like ext3 unclean shutdown -- just run a program and fix it --
except it had a much more limited set of failure conditions than a
machine crashing and so was even less likely to result in lost data. A
stale lock file might be a better analogy.

I've never heard a tale of actual data loss due to svn db problems since
well before version 1.0. Of course with fsfs I can duplbackup
reposititories offsite with tiny little delatas and so keep thousands of
incermentals of any old repository, so I do, just the same. Belt and
suspenders.

--=20
see shy jo

--WhfpMioaduB5tiZL