Seeking good web sites for Debian tools

C Poda clp301@poda.net
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:18:36 -0700

Hi,

Thanks to kmself for posting the link to your LInux distro guide.  It had
a few web links that I did not find when searching Google earlier this
year for info on XWin and on disk partitioning - thanks very much for
xwinman.org & the *nix partition article on iwethey.org.  I also found a
solution to a Vim color problem at dotfiles.com by following a link from
one of yours.

I've used Linux for several years, adopted Debian about 2 years ago, and
have been using Kanotix for 6 months.  Taking the plunge from Debian
stable to unstable was a risk that I wish I had taken earlier - so far
it's offered many rewards, little downside.

Now I'm adding to my toolbox & would like to find some good resources to
help me decide which s/w to install & learn, eg:

Version control: subversion vs CVS?

Domain name server: bind v9 vs djbdns?

Firewall: Linux netfilter-iptables vs openBSD packet filter?

Sys admin: Is cfengine worth the effort to learn & use?

How to handle fax at home w/ Linux?

I've read about these choices from web sites found by Google, and wonder
if I'm missing some better data sources because of my poor searching or
Google's poor indexing of the available web pages.

Please let me know of any web sites that have high quality (and current)
content on these topics, that might not be listed in Google's top 10-20-30
for the usual search terms.

Thanks.

clpoda