Userlinux support in the Bay Area

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:42:19 -0700

--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o

on Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:43:33PM -0800, Melissa Meyer (mel@pantless.net) =
wrote:
> Hi, one of the organizations I work for is considering (well, I
> suggested it) switching from RedHat Enterprise Server to Debian - or=20
> actually Userlinux.  I'm a big Debian fan and long-time lurker on this=20
> list.  I'm wondering if anyone here is actually using Userlinux at their
> jobs?  Does anyone in the Bay Area provide support for Userlinux and is
> available for projects from time to time (or more permanently if I and
> my co-workers get hit by a bus or something)?  The software we use is
> all pretty standard open source stuff.  The servers run a web app in
> java.  We're a non-profit so we don't have a tremendous amount of money
> which is one of our main thoughts on why we would switch to Debian.
>=20
> Any comments or suggestions?

UserLinux is one of several Debian-based distros, it hasn't AFAIK
produced a stable/production release yet, and is waiting for Debian
Sarge to go stable to do so.  ETA sometime between now and Doomsday.

I've had experience with a number of distros, including RH, Debian,
SuSE, Mandrake, Ubuntu, and OpenBSD.  My personal preference is Debian.
My recommendation for most sites is to take a strong look at Ubuntu,
which offers virtually all of the benefits of Debian, with a bit of
added polish.  While geared for desktop deployments, server packages are
available (particularly if you add the "universe" sources).

RH and SuSE make sense in enterprise environments, defined as:  you're
using existing high-end enterprise applications, with extensive support
contracts.  Oracle, SAP, and the like.  I'd contact the vendor and find
out the extent to which they're open to other distros, but in some
cases the requirements are quite specific (both technically and business
specs for support).

I'm writing a "how do I choose a distro" document at:

    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Linux/linux-new.html

=2E..it's a work in process, and far longer than I'd like, but covers a
lot of ground.

Peace.

--=20
    They caused it themselves.
     - Dick Cheney, greedy oil man lying bastard, blaming California for the
       Enron-engineered, White House-blessed power crunch, reported by AP.

--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o

--q9KOos5vDmpwPx9o--