ISP's

Adam McKenna adam@flounder.net
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:20:26 -0700

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 12:09:52PM -0700, sms@sonic.net wrote:

> > Do people have any recommendations (either for or against) internet
> > providers available in the Bay Area (I'm in SF)?
> >
> > I'm probably going to go with a cheap dial-up, but I'm also
> > considering SBC/Yahoo DSL.  Does the latter work with Linux?
> >
> > I'm using earthlink now, but am fed up with their poor service.
>
> I'll add my vote for Sonic (www.sonic.net).  The geeks still run
> the place (it was started by *nix-geeks, but apparently with sound
> business sense, as they've grown it from a tiny local to a decent-
> sized regional (with deals for nationwide access via 3rd-party POP
> providers)).  A lot of Sonic customers (and more than a few employees,
> I believe) are on the NBLUG mailing-list.

I've had Sonic, they are good.  Right now I have Comcast and I'm relatively
happy with it.  I get around 250kbytes/sec download speed.  I believe upload
speed is limited to 64k or maybe even lower, but I'm not worried about it.

As far as PPPoE, I believe there are cable/dsl (incl. wireless)  routers
that support it natively.  That way you can hook up whatever you want and
you won't be OS-dependent.

--Adam