ISP's

Aaron T Porter atporter@primate.net
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:42:56 -0700

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 11:30:47AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> I'm (still) very fond of Raw Bandwidth.
>
> Depending somewhat on your service plan[1], SBC will probably permit you
> to develop valuable expertise dealing with crappy PPPoE protocols,
> abysmal customer service, and incompetently administered networks.
>
> [1] I.e., there is a static-IP option.

	When I had both SBC and RawBW in Berkeley (SBC Business Class
line) I regularly got 10kb/s faster on my RawBW line. Since moving to
Walnut Creek the SBC speeds have improved a bit. Knowing more than I
probably should about the RawBW network, there are some oversubscription
possibilities that concern me in theory, but as a customer I certainly
never found a time when I couldn't get my full 1.5mb. I also have no
information suggesting any other ISP's config is less prone to
oversubscription bottlenecks.