Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:01:20 +0000
On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 03:48:32PM -0700, Stephen Schroder wrote:
> I have forgotten my root password, since it has been months since I
> needed to access root. Is there a way for me to retrieve the password
> or bypass it, or define a new password. Any help would help would be
- Get a debian rescue disk or a livecd like knoppix and boot into it.
- mount hard drive containing /etc and edit the shadow file
Option 2 (naughty, ugly, and might mess up your system):
- use your boot loader to boot the kernel with its normal set of
arguments and append the string 'init=/bin/bash'.
- back up etc shadow (cp -p /etc/shadow /etc/shadow.bak)
- drop the following into /etc/shadow using cat:
- run: sync;sync;sync;reboot -f