help yourself to some books i'm getting rid of

John Hauser jhauser@pobox.com
Sat, 29 May 2004 15:40:17 -0700

as many of you know, maureen & i are moving up to humboldt county at the
end of june. we're moving into about a third of the space we've got now
and there's no way i can take all my books with me.

here are some links to a list of over 400 business & technical books
that are up for grabs. i know, only a complete dork would use a barcode
scanner to scan the isbns, but hey, i finally found a use for those cue
cat barcode scanners that were given away during the height of the dot
com boom....

i've decided to give my friends and members of various users groups
first shot at these books.

many of these have the infamous "hauser hauser hauser" magic marker
scrawl on the page edges. i adopted this self defense trick after my 3rd
copy of "learning perl" walked away during my stint at pacbell.

there's some more boxes out in the garage and i haven't scanned my
general books yet, but i figured i'd better get this list out to you, so
you can start poring over the list or laughing ("omg, i can't believe
he's still got a copy of _______")

rules for distribution:

first to reserve something gets it.
i get to decide ties.
if you're in the bay area, you come to oakland to pick em up.
no whining!

i'm in oakland near dimond park. ac transit #53 runs from fruitvale bart
to within 2 blocks. the #57 and NL buses are about 3/4 mile away.

if you send me an email with your selections before the june bad
meeting, i may be able to bring them to the meeting.

i'd like to get these distributed by mid june.

i haven't figured out what the excess hardware list looks like, but
i've got a copule of seagate nasraq (cobalt raq2 oem'd for seagate, mips
cpu, not x86 compatible) at least one of them is running the
cobalt/netbsd 1.6 port.

i believe the other is running the orignal seagate/cobalt os - a 2.0.35?
  linux kernel.

i've also got 2 cobalt raq3i machines i'm looking to get rid of. i had
debian woody running on one of these and then nuked the /etc directory.
oops! need to pull the drive out & stick it in another machine to reinstall.

if anyone wants to put their dibs in for a cobalt raq3i or nasraq, let
me know.

an html version of the list is here:
<http://jhauser.dyndns.org:8013/books/index.html>

be patient... the html file includes links to thumbnails of the book
covers and details of the books will take a long time to load over my
puny 128k outbound dsl line.

quicker downloads, but not as much fun to browse, unless you import them
into a spreadsheet or database:
a text version by author:
http://jhauser.dyndns.org:8013/books/books_by_author.txt

a text version by publisher:
<http://jhauser.dyndns.org:8013/books/books_by_publisher.txt>

a text version by title:
<http://jhauser.dyndns.org:8013/books/books_by_title.txt>

an excel version by title:
<http://jhauser.dyndns.org:8013/books/books_by_title.xls>

if you're more of a dork than i am, (and i *know* some of you are!)
here's an xml version for you to parse:
http://jhauser.dyndns.org:8013/books/booklist.xml

have fun browsing and help me empty my shelves!

you may be wondering what's left. at some point i may publish
the list of what i kept...