paricipatory supercomputer event: 2004-04-03 FlashMob I, San Francisco http://www.flashmobcomputing.org/

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:57:24 -0800

What: Flash Mob Computing computer: FlashMob I (supercomputer)
When: Next Saturday: 2004-04-03
Where: San Francisco: University of San Francisco (Koret Gym, etc.)

Some more details:
You may be able to take part in one of the top supercomputers on the
planet.
It's mostly a UNIX/LINUX/Debian/Knoppix/Morphix type operation (looks
like the supercomputer will mostly use Morphix, which is based on
Knoppix and Debian).
Cool freebies: (t-shirt, software, event pass, certificate, badge to put
on your computer, etc.)
Exciting/interesting events throughout the day.
Post FlashMob LAN Party
System requirements to participate in the event (bring one or more of):
"Your computer must be at least 1.3 GHZ Pentium III/AMD equivalent or
better with at least 256MB of RAM, a 100 Base-T network connection and a
CD-ROM" - I presume they mean GHz, 256 MiB, 100Base-TX, and CD-ROM compatible
drive (CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, or CD-ROM compatible DVD), and that one
needs system with 100Base-TX capable jack, but they provide the network
and cabling.
No hard drive required (project boots from CD and should never touch the
hard drive).
Note that you can't participate and/or enter/leave with your (or anyone
else's) computer(s) at various times during the event:
"Before the benchmarking begins at 11AM, we must secure the gym.
Everyone must exit the gym while the benchmarking is going on. There is
a large viewing area, and we have an exciting day's worth of fun
activities, but during the benchmark you will not be allowed on the gym
floor for any reason."
"Once the benchmark begins, under no circumstances will you be allowed to
unplug your computer until the benchmark ends."
"Immediately after the benchmark, we will announce the results and you
may pickup your computers. But not before."
(seems some of that information should be on the FAQ page, but is
actually found on the calendar/"the days events" page)
laptop/computer security? - see the security section towards the end of
the FAQ

Lots more details:
http://www.flashmobcomputing.org/
http://www.flashmobcomputing.org/misc/calendar