Oscar's Hot Dogs, CDs, PGP/gpg, etc.

Daniel Curry dcurry@pcpn.net
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:31:13 -0800

I am new to Debian.  In fact, I am installing Debian, now, for the first
time in several years.  I will see what I can do about bringing a power
strip with me.

Does anyone have any comments on Debian package suggestions or problems
to expect from Debian on an IBM Thinkpad?

Daniel Curry
dcurry@pcpn.net
www.pcpn.net

-----Original Message-----
From: bad-admin@bad.debian.net [mailto:bad-admin@bad.debian.net] On
Behalf Of Michael Paoli
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 2:31 PM
To: bad@bad.debian.net
Subject: Oscar's Hot Dogs, CDs, PGP/gpg, etc.

Oscar's Hot Dogs:
================
Since I was in the neighborhood yesterday anyway[1], I took a very
quick through-the-window peak at Oscar's Hot Dogs[2].  It looks like
Oscar's Hot Dogs *probably* has reasonably accessible AC power - looks
like probably about one or perhaps two duplex outlets per each of three
accessible walls.  Might be handy if some folks bring extension cords,
cube taps, etc., so we can effectively multiply the number of available
outlets.  The place also looked sufficiently uncrowded that it could
reasonably accommodate a fair sized BAD crowd (as opposed to Berkeley
Espresso, which is usually pretty crowded).  I didn't wander in and
check if the outlets were live though, but I'd guestimate they probably
are.  It also looks sufficiently close to freely available open AP
(we're talking basically line-of-sight across the street maybe through
two panes of glass and/or walls) that I'd guestimate wireless access
probably wouldn't be a problem from Oscar's Hot Dogs.

Meeting/rules:
==============
I'd also think, per the shotgun rules[3] (the original
announcement[4] satisfied the rules thus far, and also keeping RULEs 4
and 7 in mind), that the meeting *will* be at Oscar's Hot Dogs, and that
certainly at least Hereon <hereon1@fastmail.us> will be there ... I'm
intending to show up at Oscar's Hot Dogs too (I may not be there all of
the "6PM ~ 10+PM" posted for the meeting, but I'll likely be there for
at least two hours within that range). (not to be confused by [5], which
at best severely bends, if not directly breaks, the shotgun rules (even
if perhaps the intent was to be informative))

CDs:
====
Similar to before, I'll bring CDs, available at near cost
(CD-RW media (and my writing on disk surface is with water soluble ink,
so that's easy to change/remove (and smudge) too) in jewel or slim-jewel
case at $2.00 USD each)
I'll be bringing these CD images:
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2 "Woody" - Official i386 Binary-1 CD
(just the first CD - enough to do more than a basic install, anyway)
and also:
KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN
Also, at least for this particular meeting since I'll almost certainly
be bringing my laptop, if one provides blank CD-R or a CD-RW I may be
able to burn you one of those images on the spot.

PGP/gpg:
For folks that are interested (e.g. haven't already) keysigning can also
be done, at least if one's suitably prepared (e.g. ID, Key IDs and
fingerprints).