[bad] Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: BAD mtg WedJan14

Hereon hereon1@fastmail.us
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:21:01 -0800

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:59:59 -0800, "Aaron T Porter"
<atporter@primate.net> said:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 01:54:55AM -0800, Mike Markley wrote:
> > People will forget meetings called months in advance. This is why the
> > last line in rule 3 of the shotgun rules is there. Colma was called for
> > January before the December meeting even happened, and as a result,
> > I had completely forgotten about it by the time the December meeting
> > had passed. Hence, it was not mentioned on the page.
>
> 	To be sure, I was somewhat negligent in my responsibilites as a
> meeting caller. There is also nothing at all preventing two BAD events
> from happening on different sides of the bay at the same time. I'll be
> bowling though!

Hi Aaron, Mike, Bill,

Well, it's not a great situation. !

Aaron - sorry I didn't see your announcement.  I looked at the main BAD
page & saw that the upcoming meeting announcement was for last December's
meeting.  I looked on the mailing list archives for Jan & Dec, and didn't
see anything there either.

Generally, since I'm relatively new to calling meetings for BAD, I have
generally tried to wait till not long before the meeting to call it - I
didn't want to make an announcement before someone else had a chance.
When I got started doing this, I had noted that there hadn't been but one
meeting in about 4 months, and & read the shotgun rules, and said to
myself "well, if noone else has been doing it,. . .  I might as well give
it a shot." (Rather than missing a meeting, or posting an "is there going
to be a meeting?"  :)  )

I certainly think it is a good idea to call the meeting far in advance,
so as to give people time to plan.  Since I had called several meetings
over the past 6 months, I didn't want to jump in early & not let have
someone else have a shot at calling it.  When I looked last week, & saw
nothing yet, I decided to wait before calling a meeting, to see if anyone
else would.  When I saw it was the final week, and still noone had posted
anything, I thought, "Well, I'd better do it again or it's not gonna get
done."

Given the (generally) small size of the turnout for these meetings,
(relative to things like svlug, baylug), I don't think it's really too
big a deal.

Basically, i'm in favor of choice.  Anyone who goes to the effort to
arrange a meeting has my respect!  (They have all required much more time
&/or effort organizing & sending announcements than I had expected when I
first got started!  Gives me quite a bit of respect for people who run
the regular lugs!)  And since you did do so before me, there is certainly
precedent for that.  :)

I did send out announcements, though to SVLUG, BAYLUG, LUGOD [(thanks
Bill :)] and a few other people, so I will be at Triple Rock in Berkeley
on Wednesday at 6+PM.  And I encourage anyone who wants to come by for
general talk or hanging out, or who enjoys working with technology like
the wifi/IRC/WWBAD-meeting to come & have some fun with that.  :)

I think it would be great if you could join us. But if you want to have
your own meeting, I say more power to you!  :)

[In case anyone wonders, I consider them the "Shotgun Excellent
Suggestions".  Rules sounds a bit inflexible.  But, I do, generally think
they are quite excellent.  :) ]

Perhaps you could not have the one this month, come join us in Berkeley,
then, on Thursday call your meeting for February, and Mike could put it
up on the BAD home page, and we could have a far-ahead scheduled meeting
for February, so that people could plan way ahead.  :)