1st post/help-request: Putting "sarge" onto a Pavillion a350n ?

sms@sonic.net sms@sonic.net
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:29:00 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I'm a newbie to BAD.  Not new to *NIX, but have mostly used
commercial flavors (Solaris, HP-UX, etc).  I do the SysAdmin thing
professionally (or did, 'til the last employer had a merger/layoff;
now I'm doing the training/credentialling thing (CCNA, SCSA) hoping
to get better results on the job-search).

As per the subject line, I'm hoping to put a recent burn of "Sarge"
onto a new HP a350n, and I'm wondering if any of you can send me
pointers (I've Googled a fair bit, but not found much to go on).

Also welcomed (if not eagerly) is advice to NOT put Debian (or not
Sarge)onto an a350n (e.g. due to driver problems)... in that case, I'd be
grateful for a pointer to alternate distro's that might suit the box
better. After my old box died, I've decided to try Debian, but only if
it can run on the new (HP) box (i.e. other h/w is not an option; the box
is bought & paid-for, so the Linux distro needs be chosen to run on that
machine).

I've skimmed the CABAL/BALE site, and may try to hit a 'fest for help,
too... or try for my local (NBLUG) 'fest, tentatively set for 21 Feb.
Frankly, though, I'm hoping to hear from someone who has reason to know
that the Sarge/a350n combo is (or isn't) viable, before I haul myself &
the gear to an Installfest.

Many thanks for any assistance or advice!

- Steve S.