Spam sorting (was Re: Install assistance needed in Berkeley area)

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shaleh@speakeasy.net
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 22:33:53 -0800

On Friday 02 January 2004 20:03, Tim Freeman wrote:

> From: "Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shaleh@speakeasy.net>
>
> >I use spambayes, it is a good filter.  However, it has some serious
> >drawbacks: 1) it is single user.  This is the biggest reason there is
> >no package for it I bet.
>
> There are lots of single-user programs, like emacs, that get packages.
> You know this so I must not have understood you properly.  Which
> single-user programs do you think won't get packages?
>
> All it takes is one enthusiastic and competent person to make a
> package, so I think it's just bad luck that this person hasn't shown
> up for spambayes.

spambayes runs as a proxy server for most people.  You pop or imap through it.
Only *ONE* user's training occurs here.  This is especially important for
company deployment.  Your sales and engineering team will have different
opinions about what is and is not spam (-:

This works fine for a home PC or laptop.  I added my wife's email and mine
together for training purposes.

As for the Debian packaging, there is a bit of work to be done.  It does not
ship with a well defined server or init script.