Moving to Berkeley, Hints?

Vineet Kumar vineet@doorstop.net
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 22:30:11 -0800

--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87

* Erich Schubert (erich@debian.org) [041123 09:56]:
> Hi,
> I'll be moving to Berkeley for spring term using a scholarship.
>=20
> Do you have any hints for me to get started?
>=20
> A quite important question is about housing. Since I got this
> scholarship at short notice, we won't get a place in the housing
> facilities.
> Since we are three people with this scholarship, we plan to move
> together and do appartment sharing.
> For this we are interested in apartments with three bedrooms - can you
> give me recommendations where to look for such appartments, and (quite
> important) an estimated price range?
> We probably have the option to take over the house of four friends who
> are currently in Berkeley with this scholarship; but it's at 2000$ a mont=
h,
> so we'd either need to find someone to move in with us or find a smaller
> appartment. Or is this already a good price they pay?

You may find this house to be a good deal; it's hard to say without
knowing more about its size and location.  You'll probably have no
trouble finding an extra roommate to fill the spot if that's what you
decide to do.  I'll echo Nick's recommendation to use craigslist; I've
had luck with their roommate ads in the past.

Another option to consider is the fraternities.  Many of them offer
cheap room and board for students (no fraternity affiliation required).
In particular, I used to be president of Alpha Delta Phi when I was
doing my undergrad at Cal (2000), and unless things have changed
drastically since then, they had very reasonable rates, including a full
meal plan and all utilities (including DSL in each room), and the house
even has a nice swimming pool.  The house is at 2422 Prospect St, very
close to campus.  They also offer scholarships (for which any Cal
student is eligible, but it's not well publicized) that may help cover
the cost of living there.  I'm copying this mail to that house's mailing
list, so that they will know that I've referred you, and to take good
care of you.

Please let me know if there's any other way I might be able to help,
since I'm right in the area.

Vineet
--=20
http://www.doorstop.net/