Antivirus Software

Paul Mackinney paul@mackinney.net
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:37:24 -0700

Steve,

To anticipate just a little. For the past month I've been getting
upwards of 2 to 20 emails a day from my ISP and other mail system
administrators informing me that "messages I've sent" have "infected
attachments", typically named "application.pif" or similar.

I don't have a virus and I haven't sent these messages. Someone else who
runs Windows and had my email address on their system DID have the
W32Blaster or W32SoBig worm, and thus my email address is being used as
the return address for thousands of infected email messages. There's
nothing I can do about it except to filter the virus warning messages
and to feel just that much more superior to everyone running Windows.

If this is anything like what you're experiencing, use Google to search
for "W32SoBig" and learn more.

BTW: Rick is quite right to ask you for details. This (and the fact that
Linux viruses are essentially unheard of) is why you haven't received a
more helpful response yet.

Regards, PM
--
Paul Mackinney