Display problem

Vineet Kumar vineet@doorstop.net
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 00:23:58 -0700

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

* Paul Mackinney (paul@mackinney.net) [030930 23:53]:
> Peter van Rossum declaimed:
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 05:11:02PM -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> > > # /etc/init.d/gdm stop
> > >=20
> > > to turn off the Gnome Display Manager (assuming that's the graphical
> > > login you're running). Next I really recommend uninstalling or disabl=
ing
> > > gdm (sorry, don't have a quick procedure for how)=20
> >=20
> > update-rc.d remove gdm
> >=20
> > to turn off gdm without actually uninstalling it
> >=20
> > update-rc.d defaults gdm
> >=20
> > if you ever want it back again
> >=20
> Thanks, great example of Debian administration.

Careful with that; if gdm is upgraded or reinstalled, the symlinks in
/etc/rc?.d will be reinstated.  It's okay as a temporary nicety, while
debugging, but shouldn't be used as the general way to disable a
service.

>=20
> BTW: I particularly dislike gdm because it keeps ressurecting itself
> even if you ctrl-alt-<minus> to kill X. Instead of running xdm or gdm, I
> have a little script in my .bash_profile to check if I'm logging in via
> ssh. If not, it runs startx. The test is [ -z "$SSH_CLIENT" ]. Anyone
> have a positive test to see if I'm logging in from the console instead
> of remotely?

TTY=3D$(/usr/bin/tty)
if [[ -z ${TTY##/dev/vc/[0-9]} || -z ${TTY##/dev/tty[0-9]} ]] ; then
  echo startx
fi

That's nearly all bash-specific, btw.

> One other note: we've recommended startx, it will require a settings
> file such as:
>=20
> --.xsession--
> #!/bin/sh
> gnome-client=20

no, not necessarily.  The default debian Xsession will run
x-session-manager if it exists.  gnome-session should provide this via
the alternatives system.  If debian's startx didn't work without first
setting up a user's .xsession, I'd consider it badly broken.

good times,
Vineet
--=20
http://www.doorstop.net/
--=20
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."  -- Barry Goldwater=20

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C--