Google Your Number

Mike Markley mike@markley.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:47:23 -0800

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 06:49:23PM -0800, Stephen Schroder <sschrode@pacbell.net> wrote:
> There have been four replies to a forward that was well intentioned
> help.  Yours is the only one that was sarcastic.  Does that say
> something about your personality, or did somebody really die and appoint
> you God?

It probably does say something about my personality. I've never been
noted for patience, and the S/N ratio around here lately has been nothing
short of headache-inducing, what with the bad Zippy impersonations and so
forth.

More to the point, however, is the fact that even the most basic
attempts at 1) researching the effects of Google's horrible atrocity
or 2) *thinking* about said effects were clearly not made. Common sense
should tell you that Google has this information because it is publicly
available, which means that -- *GASP* -- people could already DO this.
Attempting to find a map of, say, your own residence, armed only with a
phone number, would have demonstrated this.

Furthermore, it's generally bad etiquette to forward chain-letters to
mailing lists. The more insistent the message is that it *must* be
forwarded to everyone you know with an email address -- at all costs,
regardless of already-stated desires to *not* receive such things --
the more likely it is to be completely pointless in the first place. If
the information contained therein were so freaking valuable, the author
wouldn't need to beg, wheedle, and implore you to please pass it along
for the good of all humankind.

--
Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>
GPG: 0x3B047084 7FC7 0DC0 EF31 DF83 7313  FE2B 77A8 F36A 3B04 7084