seeking a copy of "Writing GNU Emacs extensions" or equivalent

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:10:06 -0800

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 23:06, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:17:48PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > Hey all, I am reaching that point in my Emacs usage where learning some
> > lisp would be good.  In particular I would like to try writing a major
> > mode or two.  Anyone have this book or a pointer to a good, helpful
> > tutorial?  i have the GNU emacs lisp intro which is nice for learning
> > lisp but fairly useless for actually writing real code.
>
> Sean,
>
> I have the two-volume set documenting Emacs Lisp for version 21.
> You're welcome to borrow it since I'm not an active Emacs user right
> now.

thanks.  I am sure these are helpful but I believe I need a little more (-:
Something that decomposes how modes work and builds a useful example from
scratch.

> These books are reference documentation; in fact, I think they're
> generated directly from the texinfo source. For a beginner, _An
> Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp_ may be better (it's also a
> GNU manual, see http://www.gnu.org/doc/book4.html which even has a
> link to an online copy). That said, my reference documentation set
> (http://www.gnu.org/doc/book3.html) comes in extremely handy.

this is the book that I purchased.  I have a diff at work I need to send the
author of the typos, grammar, etc (the patch is short).  It is not bad as an
intro, just does not go far enough.

> If you're still an xemacs user, you may prefer the xemacs fork of the
> reference manual, available at
> http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/21.5/html/lispref.html or
> http://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/docs/letter/lispref-letter.pdf.gz. I
> do not believe it's available in print.

nah, I gave up xemacs about 3 months in.