Trackin' stable vs. releases

Matt Zimmerman mdz@debian.org
Fri, 10 May 2002 13:44:47 -0400

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:38:25PM -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> On Thursday 09 May 2002 10:00 pm, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> > 	But if you run woody, then you *are* on testing.  Sid is
> > unstable right now.  Has been for a year at least I'm sure.
>
> Yes, and I've only changed that in the past couple days as the release is
> coming. unstable and testing are virtually identical right now, there may be
> only one or two packages that are different.

There are many, many more than one or two.  For the most part, uploads to
unstable have not stopped, while almost no new updates have been made to
woody in the past week.  A fairly modest woody install, when pointed at
unstable, shows:

  apache apache-common apt-listchanges ash base-config base-files binutils
  cpio cpp-2.95 cpp-3.0 debianutils doc-linux-text flex ftp g++-2.95 gcc-2.95
  gcc-3.0 gcc-3.0-base gdk-imlib1 gettext-base gij-3.0 gkrellm groff-base
  imlib-base initrd-tools less libc6 libc6-dev libdbd-mysql-perl libgcc1
  libgcj2 libldap2 libsasl7 libsnmp-base libsnmp4.2 libstdc++2.10-dev
  libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 libstdc++3 locales man-db manpages manpages-dev
  mime-support mtr-tiny nano procps realpath rsync setserial snmp snmpd tar
  textutils time vim whois zsh

--
 - mdz