Trackin' stable vs. releases

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Thu, 9 May 2002 21:49:47 -0700

begin  Rick Moen Lives Three Hours from Nowhere  quotation:
> Quoting Alan DuBoff (aland@softorchestra.com):
> > However, it was software like XFree86 4.x, Mozilla, and even
> > <gasp> Emacs 21.1 that make being on unstable satisfying for me at
> > some point in the cycle.
>
> One wonders why you aren't on testing?

	Two wonder.

		Why not take advantage of the quarantine?  It ensures
that you don't get bitten by the fact that the "OMG NOBODY UPGRADE
TODAY I BROKE PAM AND THE NEW PACKAGE IS STILL UPLOADING!!!!" notice
only ever goes out as the middle third of the topic of some #debian
channel.  You get brief sanity checks on packages, and a little bit of
QA.  That, and if you absolutely *have* to have a package from
unstable, you can do the 'APT::Default-Release "testing";' trick with
apt.conf and just grab individual packages from unstable.

	But yeah, I'm in full agreement with rick on the whole "Debian
has three releases, and most of them are released every few hours"
argument.

--
INFORMATION GLADLY GIVEN BUT SAFETY REQUIRES AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION
end