Shotgun Rules

David Schleef David Schleef <ds@schleef.org>
Tue, 7 May 2002 12:06:55 -0700

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 02:40:52PM -0400, Evan Prodromou wrote:

>     Me> The ruleset is GFDL'd, so anyone can and should adapt it to
>     Me> their own circumstances.
>
>     NM> Beaujolais to you for having NO INVARIANT SECTIONS.
>
> Well, I barely grok what an invariant section is for. Should the
> copyright notice be invariant? I'm not sure. I guess I should probably
> look a little closer at the GFDL.

<invariant>[1]

The main purpose for invariant sections seems to be for political
ranting that subsequent distributors may not remove.  There are a
number of claimed non-political uses, such as copyright headers
(which you may not remove anyway), and dedication pages.  In the
electronic documents that I write, I GPG-sign the dedication page,
since that is both more personal and also is invariant -- but it
can still be modified or removed -- it just won't be from me.

Freedom at all costs!

</invariant>

dave...

[1] comment="The following political rant may not be changed or removed
when replying to this message" =)