open source biz

Robin Rowe rower@MovieEditor.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:22:10 -0800

From: "Ben Pfaff" <blp@cs.stanford.edu>
> Personally, I use the term "free software".  To me, the term
> "open source" emphasizes benefits to business.

You may be right that I look at things more from a business point of view.
No doubt I am influenced that I must make my living designing software.

Some in the free software movement have a disdain for business, even when it
subsidizes them. For instance, Film Gimp had significant industry funding,
but was never welcomed into Gimp. As a consequence, an influential sponsor
of GPL open source software has told me they won't be doing it again, that
it was not a positive experience. I think that's sad, but others would say
good riddance, that GPL software doesn't want the support of industry.

Robin