Berkeley get-together (BAD + BUUG)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 21:09:34 -0800

Quoting Robin Rowe (rower@MovieEditor.com):

[Mike said:]

> "BAD pretty much works on the principle of 'he who steps forward takes
> responsibility' so common in this community, so it pretty much depends
> on who is willing to step forward and how much interest there is."

True.  Hoping to aid further efforts, some suggestions follow:

- When you post your BAD event, include all details: business name
  (if any), street address, cross-street, city, tel. #, hours of
  operation, VISA/MC, public transit details, parking tips, are
  minors allowed (CA liquor laws)?  _And_ an explicit date/time.  If
  it's a big place (e.g., Tied House), say how to find the group.
  If it's a business, mention that you've telephoned, confirmed
  they'll be open, and that we can be accomodated.  (If you made a
  reservation, say so, and whose name it's in.)

- Our favoured date has been 2nd Wednesday -- which the Web site says
  is BAD's regular meeting date.  7:30 PM is late enough to give most
  interested parties sufficient time in transit from work; not too late
  to prevent the trip being worthwhile.

- Post your complete-package set of event details _at least_ a week in
  advance.  Three weeks is much better.  Ask Mike to put it on the Web
  site.  Your furnishing all that data in one list post makes it easy
  for him.

- At least one/two list-members will reflexively reply, to say
  they don't like that place/date/whatever.  Bestow the traditional
  millisecond of sympathy and move on.

- Public transit info can be gotten from http://transitinfo.org/ .
  Maps and directions can be gotten from http://www.mapblast.com/ .

In http://bad.debian.net/list/2001-September/001624.html on Sep. 17,
I did most (not all) of the above in announcing the Oct. 10 meeting.
Since the announcement had a three+ week lead, I also posted a reminder
the Sunday before the meeting:
http://bad.debian.net/list/2001-October/001648.html