Group Of Debianers

tluxt tluxt@yahoo.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:56:10 -0800 (PST)

Since it's about time for the "where is the BAD meeting this month"
discussion to occur, and I had talked about creating a regular Debian meeting
with a speaker, here's an update.

I am currently too busy to do this.  But, here are some thoughts, in case
someone wants to try organizing this.

I think it would be great to have a monthly Debian meeting in Silicon Valley.
 SiV cause that's where I think the meeting would get the most attendance,
and hence interaction, & hence progress for Debian.

It should have a speaker.  There are many things to cover: How to package for
Debian.  Tips on using apt, dpkg, tasksel, pinning etc.  Debian projects,
like the installer.  The KDE-Debian group.  How to get the bug squashing
finished for Woody, so woody can be released.  How to become a debian
developer.  How to develop new tools for the Debian website (like a KDE in
Debian specific all in one bug status page) ...

I'd have the talk in conjunction with a SiV installfest, on a Saturday -
SVLUG, or EBLUG's (them willing, of course) - in order to help increase the
attendance, generate cross-pollination, and avoid potential attendees having
to go to one or the other group, and not both.

Furthermore, I'd also have an informal Debian meeting every Saturday, where
anyone interested in Debian could get together & talk & work & share info &
perhaps do debian bug squashing, or work on debian projects, help people
install Debian, or educate the public about GNU Freedom Software.  On
Saturdays when there is an installfest in SiV, the meeting would be held at
the installfest location.

For persons working on projects and wishing to not be interruped, there
should be a way to communicate to others that fact, perhaps by such persons
having a small sign saying something like "I am working on (insert project
name here).  If you do not know if I will appreciate the interruption, please
only interrupt me if you have some useful input to this project."  (or, maybe
just: "Please don't ask me installation howto questions.")  Thus, for
example, persons working on bug squashing could avoid being interrupted with
install questions.

I'd arrange to have a wireless network, with access to the net.  People would
be encouraged to bring wireless enabled computers (perhaps laptops).

I'd try to have it in a central location.  Someplace like a cafeteria or
classroom or lounge, perhaps at Mission College (across from Great America,
close to Highway 101 and not far from bus & train.), or maybe SJ State.  Or,
maybe someplace like the installfest locations might want to have it there
each Saturday (but, that might be a bit much for a company to want to do.)

An educational oriented host could be good.  Perhaps a library or school.
Since Debian is a nonprofit like organization which provides opportunities
for learning & tchnical skills development, and free sw for the entire
community, which benefits the public, local (or county or state or US)
government organizations ought to bend over backward to help it, by providing
a facility to use on Saturdays (just like they support schools & libraries &
senior centers & kids groups & parks, and other groups that benefit their
communities).

I'd call it the Group Of Debianers.  It could be an international
organization, with branches around the world, just like LUGs, each having a
monthly meeting, & perhaps also a weekly get together.  It could have a main
web page, like god.org.  (I know, it's taken - but not doing much.)  The SiV
chapter would be godsv.org, or god-siliconvalley.org  (How long do you think
it will be till someone wanting to sabotage or damage Debian grabs those
domain names?)  Those names maybe should be trademarked also.