libhttp

Matt Zimmerman mdz@debian.org
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:32:32 -0400

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 09:33:43AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> itz> Please read my post again.  The (very real) benefits you describe
> itz> can be achieved with a "symlink-directory" script.
>
> Wichert> Which still gives you a cluttered directory when that is not
> Wichert> needed.
>
> True, but IMHO this is a very small inconvenience compared to the
> complications in Makefiles that srcdir/builddir entails.

It sounds like you're arguing against VPATH, not against automake/autoconf.
If you use symlinks instead of VPATH, you still have to make a distinction
between source files and derived files, in order to know what must be
symlinked to the build directory.  This seems like more trouble than just
using $(srcdir) where appropriate.  What other complications are you
referring to?

--
 - mdz