leaving the area; administrivia

Joey Hess joeyh@debian.org
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:56:18 -0800

I regret to announce that I will be leaving the Bay Area aound the end
of April. I'm moving back East, so I won't be able to make many BAD
meetings.

It's been fun to watch BAD slowly grow, even as it seems to violate 90%
of Rick's guidelines[1] for a successful LUG. It's been very satisfying
to see meeting continue to happen even though I haven't done any work to
organize them lately. So I think BAD will persist, as long as there are
Debian enthusiasts in the Bay Area.

The administrivia, of course, is that BAD is currently hosted on my
server, kitenet.net. Kite will probably be down for at least a week as I
move cross-country, though no mail will be lost. After that, it will be
demoted to a slow dialup line many hops from most of you. So we might want
to move the web page and mailing list elsewhere.

The mailing list runs on mailman, and, since I will probably have less
interest in administering it on the east coast, another mailing list admin
is needed too (Deidre is co-admin currently, but it's best to have more than
one). It's a light workload, mainly spam and posts from people from
non-subscribed addresses, the occasional mailman breakage..

And I will probably be even less able to keep the web page current, so
someone needs to step forward to do that (or, ideally, several
someones).

While these things are being moved, it might be best to protect against
future moves by hosting them on a dedicated domain. Any debian developer
can register bad.debian.net, which seems most appropriate.

--
see shy jo

[1] http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/essays/newlug.html