LinuxWorld.

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:24:38 -0800

begin  Alan DuBoff quotation:

> [...]
> While NeXTStep might have come out before the above, weren't the above
> spin-offs from Berkeley Unix which certainly pre-dated NeXTStep? It
> seems it was only symatics of what was or was not free according to
> AT&T.

Look, if you're going to get into _that_, then get ready to complain
that BSD 4.x "modified" USL's UNIX directory structures and kernel.

I believe Deirdre's point was that your argument was rather silly in
context.  And you're not making it any less silly, above.

> Even so, I don't see the motivation to keep Mac OSX different than the
> BSD that is available today, which is the current problem with OSX as
> it is currently implemented.

Whether it is a "problem" or not is, obviously, entirely a matter of
perspective.  But I didn't volunteer to take over dissecting what I
think (concurring with what I believe Deirdre's overall point to be) is
a supremely frivolous set of bellyaches:  All I aimed to do was clear up
your misreading of Deirdre's earlier post, in her absence.

> I see Apple's technology coming to Open Source over time anyway....

Don't hold your breath.

--
Cheers,              "It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us
Rick Moen            in trouble.  It's the things we know that ain't so."