LinuxWorld.

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 07:54:01 -0800

begin  Alan DuBoff quotation:

>>> As it is, OSX can't use the ports from FreeBSD or NetBSD as they
>>> modified the directory structures and kernel.
>>
>> Wrong order: FreeBSD and NetBSD came *later*, not earlier.
>
> ???? I might be missing your point.

Yes, you are.  Deirdre's point was that Macintosh OS X is essentially a
revised version of NeXTStep, which came out about three years earlier
than 386BSD / FreeBSD / NetBSD.  Thus, it makes more sense to say that
the _latter_ modified the directory structures and kernel.

> I compiled XFree86 on Mac OSX (latest 4.02 code), and I can run X on
> it, but I can't run X and the OSX GUI together (aqua I believe is the
> component), so whats the point?

FYI:

http://www.mrcla.com/XonX/

Requires building XFree86 4.02 on OS X with three patches (including
the CoreGraphics/Quartz window server patch and the Xmaster Carbon app).
You then modify the default .xserverrc file to pass a -quartz switch to
the X server binary.  This results in CoreGraphics and X running in
background, allowing you to toggle back and forth between Aqua and X.

Alternatively, and possibly better, here's a totally different approach:
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/~jsw/macosx_xvnc/

Proprietary solution, providing support for X on the Aqua desktop:
http://www.tenon.com/products/xtools/

Deirdre is in the East Coast, today, and will be back next Friday.

--
Cheers,              "It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us
Rick Moen            in trouble.  It's the things we know that ain't so."