Reminder for Signers, Signees

Evan Prodromou evan@prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
16 Feb 2001 14:53:56 -0800

So, people who need their key signed, remember to:

        1. Send me your key by tonight, so I can assemble them into a
           nice keyring + printout for the signers.

        2. Bring the following tomorrow:

                * POSITIVE form of ID, like a driver's license or
                  passport
                * Your own copy of your key fingerprint

Tomorrow I'll have:

        * Nice name + key fingerprint printouts for signers to use.

Signers should bring:

        * A pen or pencil to mark off the fingerprint printouts once
          they've checked IDs.

If you've never done a keysigning party before, here's how it works:
the keysigner and keysignee meet. Keysigner checks the signee's ID
against his/her printout, to make sure that he/she is talking to the
right person. Then, signer makes a check next to the signee's name, to
indicate "identified". Keysignee then reads out key fingerprint to
keysigner. If the fingerprints match, and the ID is good, they make
another check mark next to the name on their printout, indicating "key
fingerprints match." ONLY IF BOTH CHECKMARKS EXISTS should the signer
sign the key.

After the party, the next steps are:

        * Every signer downloads the unsigned keyring from the Web URL
          I'll publish.

        * Every signer signs the keys they verified (i.e., checked
          their print out).

        * Every signer sends me their edited keyring with now-signed
          keys.

        * I combine the signatures and make a new keyring, with all
          the signed stuff, and make that available on the Web.

Note that to be a Debian NM you only need one signature from one
Debian maintainer. However, it's good for the Web of Trust for you to
give and get lots of (valid) signatures.

~ESP