debian history

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
13 Dec 2001 11:49:50 -0800

At the get-together in Menlo Park last night I said that I
thought I'd joined the project back 1993ish.  Well, out of
curiosity, I went out and found a history and discovered that
that is quite impossible.

>From http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/debian-announce-1998/msg00022.html:

     Here are some of the major Debian release milestones:

     0.01-0.90 were released between August 1993 and December 1993
     0.91 released January 1994 (~30 developers, primitive packager)
     0.93R5 released in March 1995 (dpkg makes its first appearance)
     0.93R6 released in November 1995 (~60 developers, a.out, first
     0.dselect)
     1.0 was never released. It later became version 1.1
     1.1 'Buzz' released June 1996 (474 packages, 2.0 kernel, fully
     0.ELF, dpkg)

So I think I probably joined between March and November 1995,
because I don't remember a time before dpkg and ISTR that there
were approximately 50 developers at the time.

I must have been confusing joining Debian with starting to use
Linux, because I'm pretty sure that was around my freshman year
in high school, which would have been 1993-1994.
--
"In this world that Hugh Heffner had made,
 he alone seemed forever bunnyless."