Commitment vs. practicality

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:45:17 -0700

begin Tabinda N. Khan quotation:

> And Rick: The friend would probably at least have the courtesy to be
> appreciative that someone else brought cake just in case, rather than
> accusing people of highjacking the cake plan. Or something like that.
> :-)

A brief point:  I made no such accusation.  All I said was I was annoyed
at nobody having tried to call me to save me the effort of assembling a
substitute keyring.  Nobody having done so, I of course did that, out of
sparse available time.

And among the reasons I doubt the goal has been accomplished
through other means was a BAD post saying a _wrong key_ was being used
for signatures.  And, earlier, participants sent me key fingerprints when
I requested and needed public keys, and a couple were poised until the
last minute to bring public keys to the party instead of key
fingerprints.  And, despite several reminders, one participant arrived
at the picnic _without_ anything, intending to rely solely on my keyring
printout.

My point?  My initial work was directed at getting the overall task done
_right_.  The point of following through is to ensure that all that work
isn't wasted by third-party fumbling at the end.

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,