GPL and Linux/BSD InstallFest

Rob Helmer robert@namodn.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:56:46 -0700

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 09:34:09AM -0700, Michael S. Fischer wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 10:17:09AM -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:
>
> > The only other distribution I've considered for folks that aren't "skilled"
> > enough is Progeny, since it's based on Debian and comes with support. Ian
> > Murdock is the CEO and Bruce Perens is the Chairman of the Board. Probably
> > can't go wrong with that combination...:-)
>
> They might be decent programmers with upstanding ethical concerns, but
> that in no way makes them good businessmen.

I suppose it all has to do with your definition of "good" business(wo)men.

Someone who makes a profit, but cares nothing for ethical considerations
is not good, but rather "ruthlessly efficient".

Not to say that this attitude is not profitable, but it certainly is not
the trait I look for when I am looking to make a business transaction or
deal. It usually indicates to me that this is not a trustworthy
businessperson, and the company that they run is most likely doubly so.

Unethical business is "bad" business ( and not BAD business, either ).

HTH,
Rob Helmer
Namodn