GPL and Linux/BSD InstallFest

Alan DuBoff Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 10:17:09 -0700

Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 10:32:47PM -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> > > Linux-Mandrake, actually.
> > Yeah, I consider that Red Hat for the most part, and it's RPM infested...:-/
>
> Has anybody on the list tried Conectiva? I'm sure Debian would be
> better for a skilled user, but Conectiva does a good job of
> potentially redeeming itself with a port of apt. I'm also impressed at
> Conectiva's staff, i.e. Rik van Riel.

I haven't considered any other distro besides Debian for my own use.

The only other distribution I've considered for folks that aren't "skilled"
enough is Progeny, since it's based on Debian and comes with support. Ian
Murdock is the CEO and Bruce Perens is the Chairman of the Board. Probably
can't go wrong with that combination...:-)

Has anyone on the list upgraded a Debian system to Progeny? I saw instructions
on upgrading a potato 2.2 system on the download page but haven't tried it
yet.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.