who are you again?

Michael S. Fischer michael@dynamine.net
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:32:19 -0700

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 04:38:49PM +0000, M. Drew Streib wrote:

> I notice that people don't sign their messages though, in sort of a
> 'normal' use of PGP among friends. Just curious, is this because:
>
> 1) You're using mail client that doesn't easily integrate?
> 2) People complain about the extra funny characters?
> 3) Something else?

My excuse is that most people outside of the Debian developers' group
don't use PGP.

Many of my clients read their mail using Outlook Express, which does not
properly display a PGP-signed email message as formatted through Mutt.
Mutt, when signing a message, breaks the content into two parts (the
plaintext and the signature), which appear in Outlook Express as two
separate attachments (unfortunately, it will not show the plaintext in
the message window; you have to open it with Notepad or whatever you
have assigned to the .txt extension).

I guess Mutt can be configured to sign messages without using the MIME
format, but the manual says (in bold) that this format is "strongly
deprecated."  Anyone know why?

--
Michael S. Fischer / michael at dynamine.net / +1 650-533-4684
Lead Hacketeer, Dynamine Consulting, Silicon Valley, CA