Tucows download stats

Joey Hess joeyh@debian.org
Thu, 4 May 2000 15:13:08 -0700

Nathan Myers wrote:
> Here we have the Debian/Apt-packaged family easily keeping up with the
> more heavily-promoted commercial distributions.  March is interesting
> in that Debian downloads far exceed Mandrake's much-hyped popularity.

Of course, stats can be made to say anything. :-)

What I really wonder about these numbers is how they relate to the
actual total number of iso image downloads. I noticed that Corel's web
site has a direct link to tucows, plus 2 other locations, so anyone
downloading a Corel cd is likely to get it from tucows 1/3 of the time.

Similarly, Mandrake's download page prominently lists Tucows several
times.

On the other hand, http://cdimage.debian.org/ goes out of its way to
convince people that they don't *need* to download a cd image, since
using apt directly makes more sense most of the time. And if they convince
it they really do need a cd image,
http://cdimage.debian.org/rsync-mirrors.html lists many mirrors to
choose from. Tucows isn't even on the list. So what percentage of debian
ISO image downloads go through tucows? Less, I would guess.

If we want to inflate the stats, the choice would seem to be to link to
Tucows. :-)

--
see shy jo