BusyBox

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:36:38 -0700

Chris Waters wrote:

>Bruce has done some great stuff, but checking argv[0] is a standard
>*nix technique that dates back at least to the invention of vi (aka
>ex).  It's used in everything from mtools to gzip these days.

Chris,

It was not the fact that he captured argv[0], but rather how so much space
could be saved by packaging so many leaned down programs to fit in the size,
and still support most of the standard arguments (I say standard as I believe
BusyBox leans some of them out to make them smaller).

>I think it actually originated as a workaround for the lack of shared
>libraries, back when *nixen didn't have shared libaries.

Which seems odd, are you saying the use this same packaging technique with
argv[0] as common practice?

I don't have that much experience with *ix in that regards, but *ix has some
odd things of such...and I was definitely disappointed to learn more about the
Linux process and pthread peculiarities...it even scares me thinking about
SMP, I would like to know more about the changes being made to the 2.3/4
kernel.

FWIW, the Kerbango radio and company is being aquired in 1 hour, being
announced at PC Expo...keep your ears tuned in (no pun intended, our slogan is
"tune in the world";-) for any Kerbango announcements from another large
networking company in the Valley...at the same time there will most likely be
other announcements from RCA of doing business with us and having us develop
several products for them.

The worlds first internet radio, and it's running on Linux! Theres gonna be
more stuff like this to come...

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.