child process using execl()

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu, 01 Jun 2000 20:33:36 +0000

Chris Waters wrote:

> Anyway, the _Linux Application Development_ book definitely covers the
> questions you're asking.  The example program they develop in that
> book is a small shell, which does lots of forking and execing.

I found the Linux Application Development book in the CTO's office next to
mine, so I've staked my claim on it for the time being!

> And yes, if parent and child need to communicate, system() is not what
> you want.  But you might find it interesting to see how it's defined.

Yes, they do need to do that. My app runs in two different modes, one is a
message mode that uses the standard unix msgxxx functions, and the other is a
traditional standalone loop type setup. The message driven model is what is
used in the production app. All of this runs on an embedded linux kernel in
rom/ram, so I realized that by recompiling the mysql client code, I could nfs
mount a disk and access mysql databases (nfs mount the shared libraries so
they don't have to be loaded in rom/ram. The scary thing is that I can
actually run a mysql daemon and serve a database from an embedded linux kernel
if I want...

I'm not sure why these messages are not getting through to BAD, Joey told me
that the address is different than which I subscribed with...but I'm not so
sure about that...:-/ I'll bcc shy jo in case that may help rectify the
problem...

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.