Stormix wants Debian contact (fwd)

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:10:38 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Bruce Perens wrote:

> It seems of late that most people consider the stock options to be the
> main element of compensation, not the salary. But of course there are
> horror stories like mine at Pixar, where they decided to re-start stock
> vesting from 0 after I'd been there for 8 years, and I had to work for
> 12 years in total to be fully vested. And of course I know lots of
> people who worked hard and in the end the stock was worth nothing. So
> options are a gamble.

Sorry to hear you were so jerked over Bruce. :(

There was a good recent thread on this on slashdot with some surprisingly
pragmatic advice (given the usual).
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/01/13/2342249&mode=flat

Also, for those IN the bay area, there is a class on Saturday about all
the issues surrounding stock options (including tax implications). It's
offered by UCSC Extension.
http://www.ucsc-extension.edu/knowledge_is_timeless/qd/buslist.taf?function=detail&start=0&X_Number=819.6%20Business%20Administration

Anyhow, best to think of them as lottery tickets. But vesting is still
cool.

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator