Networking question

Jonathan Jefferies jonathanj@allant.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:57:28 -0800

Joey Hess wrote:

> Jonathan Jefferies wrote:
> > Problem is that the process somehow disturbed
> > something.  Symptom is that when I make a
> > ppp connection - using wvdial - I cannot
> > ping outside of my computer. The error message
> > is that the "operation is not permitted".
>
> Edit /etc/resolv.conf, take out 127.0.0.1, and put in and make sure you have
> a valid external nameserver in there. Bind adds the 127.0.0.1 entry when it
> is installed, and it may not properly remove it on removal.
>
> > as default I still cannot ping outside
> > my machine.
>
> Even by IP address?

correct.

Will try the suggestion of removing 127.0.0.1
from resolv.conf.  I don't remember if it
was actually in there but that's a definite
point to look at.  Still, based on my readings
- and that means I don't have a lot of networking
experience yet - I am trying to figure out how
what gets put into the /etc/ppp/ip-up script.
It seems that is where the routing would be
setup.  But also it was apparently setup fine
before as the PPP connection was one thing that
was working.  The message about "operation not permitted"
seems to be associated with an address not being
in the routing ?table?

Thanks for the tip.

J.