Installing Debian on PowerBook

Daniel Jacobowitz dan-bad@debian.org
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:00:53 -0500

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 10:46:51PM +0000, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> I finally got a new PowerBook (geez, that took some time;-) and can't get it
> to recognize the Debian CD as being bootable.
>
> I looked over the FAQs and such, and did get into the Open Firmware, but
> couldn't change anything that would let it boot from the CD.
>
> Does anyone know the secret to installing on a PowerBook?
>
> I'll cc Daniel Jacobowitz as he is probably the person to answer this...just
> thought some of you in the Bay area might have done this before...Dan, you
> gave me 2 CDs at LinuxWorld in March/April, and I ended up downloading the iso
> image to make a CD here, thinking it may have changed, but I get the same
> results, MacOS tells me it's not bootable. Do I need to change something in
> Open Firmware?

Is this a new powerbook?  If so, you've got two options.

Download a 2.2r2 CD when they become available (within the next
several days, I hope!) or boot the machine into Open Firmware
(hold down command-option-o-f) and type "boot cd:,\\yaboot" at the
prompt.  That should do it.

> For extra credit, the PowerBook has a keyboard and mouse on it, I was thinking
> I couldn't use a second keyboard unless I upgraded to the 2.4 kernel (which is
> where I remember USB support being). Is that correct? The Mac uses USB for the
> serial though, so it might not allow me to use one of the USB->Serial adapters
> without the 2.4 kernel. Maybe someone can set me straight on that...

Nope, should be fine either way, I think.  Certainly if you use
2.2.18pre21, the 2.2r2 kernel packages.

Dan