2.4 boot disks

Chris Waters xtifr@dsp.net
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:57:55 -0800

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 03:26:11AM -0800, ivan wrote:

> really?  hmm.  the debian ide patches (kernel-patch-2.2.17-ide) seems to
> work for me, for both the promise ata/100 controller on my new motherboard
> (Asus A7V) and on the cards Promise PCI cards I just picked up... am I
> missing something here?

I was trying to use the ide boot floppies, and they definitely didn't
work for me.

Actually, to be more specific, what I had problems with was not the
controller (which is backwards compatible with ata33/66), but my IBM
ata100 drive, which was called an "unknown device".  I could
read/write the CDROM just fine, since that was vanilla ata33.

Side note: Ivan, you have something badly messed up in your MUA.  I got:

And that's not going to work very well from my machine... :)