2.4 boot disks

Chris Waters xtifr@dsp.net
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:32:40 -0800

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 11:39:22PM -0800, tom@grubby.net wrote:

> One last piece of this problem that I don't quite grok: what do you
> put in our fstab inorder to have your root filesystem on one of
> these?  Is it /dev/hda, or something like /dev/hde1 ? ( I have no
> other ide drives ).

The latter.  /dev/hda would be the physical device, /dev/hda1 the
first partition.

IIRC, the Debian installer is pretty smart about finding the proper
device(s) to use.  My ata100 drive turned out to be /dev/hde for some
strange reason, so I've got /dev/hde1 as /boot, /dev/hde5 as /,
/dev/hde8 and swap, and so on and so forth.

(I reserved a partition for the Hurd before realizing that the Hurd
doesn't have support for ata100, so now I'm trying to figure out what
to do with the spare space -- no proprietary OSes need apply....:-)

cheers