linuxworld brain dump

Joey Hess joeyh@debian.org
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:23:21 -0700

Well we're mostly done with setup -- thanks everyone who came.

All that really needs to be done is debian needs to be installed on the
Sun box, and a few more cables ran for power to the front of the booth.
It's all came together nicely though.

If you have a nice, portable, space-efficient chair, you might consider
bringing it to the booth, which only has 2, and that probably won't be
enough. Also, power strips are always useful, and we may be running short
on network cables already (we'll probably enter a Bring Your Own Cables
situation soon).

The main thing that it's be really good if people could do is bring
along a 6 pack of your favorite soft-drink (or whatever..) when you come
to the show. We've got a cooler, and it was hot today, and will probably
just get hotter when 6 thousand people are on the show floor. A few
people should bring ice too -- perhaps you should speak up if you can do
that so we don't get too much.

The booth will be on the web at http://linuxworld.debian.net/ starting
whenever the DNS updated; right now it's http://209.119.121.12/, and
there will be a webcam and stuff there.

Networking is dhcp on the show floor right out to the internet, so you
don't need to use our router box. For wavelan, the final (so far)
settings are:

wvlan0    IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"linuxworld.debian.net"
          Frequency:2.432GHz  Sensitivity:1/3  Mode:Ad-Hoc
          Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
          Bit Rate:2Mb/s   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:29

Seems to cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the show floor!

--
see shy jo